Skip to main content

Fixation Friday: Sex And The City (Reunion Edition)



In the last month, I have been binging Sex and The City (the series) non-stop. I can't really explain what drove me to start watching this gem the first place, but I do know that I have come to love it. I have accompanied Carrie, Charlotte, Miranda and Samantha through countless sexcapades, heartbreak, friendship moments, weddings, engagements, marriages, problems and even death. And what I've learned from all of that is that friends are the best support system one can wish for. It doesn't matter where they are or what they're doing; you know - you just know - that they will always be there. In light of the well discussed topic right now, a Sex And The City Revival, I decided to write a blog post throwing it waaaaaaaay back. 



The timeless series follows the lives of four women in their mid-thirties in New York City. Obviously they feel the pressure to settle down, get married and have kids. But only one of the group only sees that in their near future: Charlotte. She dreams of the perfect wedding, the perfect husband, the perfect kids and the perfect family christmas cards. While searching for the perfect life, she also manages to be adorably drunk. 



Samantha is the wild one out of the bunch - she likes men (and a lot of them). While she may have a "I don't give a f*ck" vibe going on, she too has feelings (I know, SHOCKER). With her commitment issues and her openness to various sexual experiments, she is a hilarious addition to the squad. 




Miranda is a lawyer who struggles to be taken seriously as a woman in her work place. Outside of work, she deals with men who are threatened by her "powerful" job. She's a real power lady. She is definitely the strong one out of the group, but even the strongest walls can crumble sometimes. She has difficulties opening up to men and letting them in and is the most pessimistic character I have seen on TV. 




And then there's Carrie. Carrie is a columnist who writes about certain topics and events that occur in their lives. She isn't in a hurry to settle down, but there is a man who always pops up in her life: Mr. Big. She offers an outlook on their lives and is the shows main character. The cute, funny and charming Carrie has become a somewhat iconic figure. They all have. 


Carrie is a smoker. She always says she'll quit smoking eventually, but it becomes a part of her that I would be sad to see go. Addiction is something that the story always grazes lightly. While in Carries case it's shoes and cigarettes, one could argue that Samantha has an addiction of her own: Sex.




The comedy in the show is hilarious. While touching subjects that a lot of people deal with, the show makers did a marvellous job of giving even the most serious issues a comedic undertone. The characters developments are the thing that make you stick around. While they are a friend group of four, you never get the impression that they only fit into that pack. They are individuals and their story lines develop differently each season. 






The inciting thing about the series is that the identification factor is huge. Faced with the question at the very start, I was asking myself: Who am I? Am I a Carrie, a Samantha, a Charlotte or a Miranda? 



My generation, as I have found, generally isn't too familiar with the show. The ones who have watched Carrie and her friends usually got to experience those squad goals through the movies. As I have seen both movies and the show, I would recommend the series 100% more. While a movie may not take up too much of your time, the show has more depth to it. Each episode deals with a new, relatable topic with Carrie writing about it in her column. As I enjoy writing, I always found it easier to identify with Carrie. She's not all out there like Samantha, not as uptight as Miranda can sometimes be and not as innocent as Charlotte generally is. She has an interesting perspective on life and isn't afraid to talk/write about it. But together they form a picture of an everyday woman. And I'm telling you, we don't talk about life, men and love very differently here in the real world. 

My final verdict is: Try watching the show. This is a timeless classic, an ICON of a series. And although they may still have flip phones, I promise that there is something in there that all of us can relate to. 


Who said women only eat salad?




This posts Question:
Who are you? A Carrie, Samantha, Miranda or Charlotte?
As always, let me know!


SaveSave

Comments